Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Cabbit

I was at a County Fair in Pennsylvania and walked into a barn where a pet show was about to begin. There I met a a farmer who was grooming an animal that appeared to be half rabbit and half cat. The hindquarters, tail and back feet looked like that of a rabbit and the front half was that of a beautiful green-eyed cat. She was grey and white and the fur on the lower half of her body was soft like that of a rabbit.

The farmer said that she was a cabbit-a cross between a female cat and a male rabbit, that she only ate alfalfa and rabbit food, hopped like a rabbit, did not meow but was known to purr. He said that cabbits, like mules, are sterile.

I did not really believe him although I wanted to. She was a beautiful and intersting animal all the same. She really did look like a cat arising from a rabbit. The rabbit pellets and alfalfa in her cage added to her mystique. As if sensing my disbelief, the "cabbit" stood up on her hind legs like a rabbit, looked into my eyes and twitched her nose as if to say, "Are you sure?". Whatever she was I was certain that she would win the blue ribbon in the Most Unusual Pet category.

Apparently the judges did not agree, though, as the cabbit came in 5th-right behind a goat wearing a sundress.

No comments: